New Student Orientation
The College of Architecture & Urban Studies (CAUS) at Virginia Tech is excited to welcome our newest Hokies. New Student Orientation is one of the most important parts of your transition to college. This is where you’ll get to meet with faculty from the college and with your academic advisor in your major and obtain very important information for your success. Orientation is also when you’ll enroll in classes for the fall semester.
We ask that all students coming to CAUS complete the following Pre-Orientation Checklist before coming to Blacksburg for orientation this summer.
Begin with Technology
1. CREATE A NEW PID (Allow 24 hours before completing the remainder of this checklist) https://accounts.it.vt.edu/
2. ENROLL in the 2-Factor Authentication with Duo http://www.tech.it.vt.edu/2factor
3. DOWNLOAD the DUO Mobile App on your personal smartphone and enroll the device http://www.tech.it.vt.edu/2factor/
4. ACCESS, READ, USE your VT Google Apps Mail Email daily. Your VT Email is how the college and your advisor will communicate with you.
5. ADD your VT email to the personal smartphone that you will be bringing to orientation. See how here.
University Action Items
6. SIGN UP for Orientation (Deadline: June 17) Spaces do fill up, so the earlier you register the more dates you’ll have to choose from.
- Click Hokie Spa
- Click Information for New Students
- Click New Student Orientation then Sign Up for Orientation
7. COMPLETE the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) if you wish to apply for financial aid. http://www.finaid.vt.edu
8. COMPLETE and SUBMIT the immunization history form
9. COMPLETE the housing/dining contract (requirement for first-year students)
http://housing.vt.edu/contracts/apply/first_year_students.html and review living-learning community options:www.housing.vt.edu/llc
Transcripts and Expected Credits
10. SEND your official transcripts (high school) to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions once you have final grades.
- Office of Undergraduate Admissions, 925 Prices Form Road, Blacksburg, VA 24061
11. SEND all AP, IB, CLEP, and Cambridge scores to Virginia Tech’s Office of the University Registrar. AP & CLEP must be sent to VT from CollegeBoard (they will not process copies of scores).
- Virginia Tech Registrar, Student Services Bldg, Suite 250, 800 Washington Street, Blacksburg, VA 24061. Use School Code #5859
12. SEND official transcripts for dual enrollment courses or courses taken at other universities to Virginia Tech’s Office of the University Registrar
- Virginia Tech Registrar, Student Services Bldg, Suite 250, 800 Washington Street, Blacksburg, VA 24061
13. LOOKUP how courses may transfer to Virginia Tech
- AP, IB, CLEP, Cambridge: https://www.registrar.vt.edu/Advanced-Standing-Transferable-Credit.html
- Transfer or Dual Enrollment from other colleges: https://banweb.banner.vt.edu/ssb/prod/hzsktgid.P_DispTranGuide
14. VERIFY receipt of AP, IB, CLEP, Cambridge, transfer credits on Hokie Spa at anytime http://www.hokiespa.vt.edu/
- Click Hokie Spa
- Click Grades Menu
- Click Transfer and Other Additional Credits
College of Architecture & Urban Studies Requirements
15. COMPLETE the CAUS Pre-Orientation Form (Deadline: June 17)
Didn’t complete this before the deadline passed? No worries! you’ll have a chance to fill in your advisor on all your anticipated transfer credits at orientation. Bring copies with you!
16. BOOKMARK the College of Architecture & Urban Studies (CAUS) website https://archive.caus.vt.edu
17. BOOKMARK the CAUS Academic Advising webpage https://archive.caus.vt.edu/academics/advising/
18. PREPARE for Class Registration (May not open until late June or July – Please complete at least 24 hours prior to coming to Blacksburg for orientation)
- Click Hokie Spa
- Click Registration and Schedule
- Click on Prepare for Registration
- Select Fall 2020 semester
- Update Emergency Contact Address, Confirm Emergency Contact Address, Add/Update FERPA Release, Sign in for VT Alerts, Read/Confirm the Self-Disclosure of Arrest/Conviction, Read/Confirm the Student Financial Responsibility
You will not be able to sign up for classes until you meet with your academic advisor during orientation.
If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact Rob Jacks, Director of Academic Advising at email@example.com or 540-231-6415
How do I sign up for orientation? See step #6 on the checklist! Signup by June 17!
Orientation sessions for my major are full or I can’t attend any of the orientation sessions, what do I do? Contact New Student Programs at 540-231-3284 and they will help you out!
Item #15 on the checklist is very important! Complete this step before June 17.
The final item on the checklist, #18 Prepare for class registration, is one of the most important. You need to complete these tasks before coming to Blacksburg for orientation.